Drawing a Dialogue is a podcast discussing comics in historical + educational contexts by Cathy G. Johnson and e jackson.
Episode 6: Jumping off of the last episode, Cathy + e complicate their discussion about ‘the gaze.’ They revisit Laura Mulvey’s original ‘male gaze’ definition + its criticisms. Lesbian, black, female, transgender, imperial + medical gaze theories are discussed, which broaden the conversation + offer resistance.
Contact: email@example.com, Twitter
Subscribe: iTunes, or any podcast app you may use!
Episode Citation (chronologically as mentioned in podcast):
- Episode 5 of Drawing a Dialogue for citation on Lacan, Freud, Mulvey + Foucault
- Interview with Laura Mulvey by Roberta Sassatelli - Link
- hooks, bell. (1992). Black Looks: Race and Representation. Boston: South End Press.
- Dobinson, C., & Young, K. (2000). Popular Cinema and Lesbian Interpretive Strategies. Journal of Homosexuality, 40(2), 97-122.
- E. Ann Kaplan - Routledge
- Aevee Bee - Mammon Machine Blog
- Julia Serano - Trans-misogyny primer
- E Jessica Groothis - The TransAdvocate
- Imogen Binnie - Imogen Watches Classic Films
- Mey Rude - Autostraddle
- Wilchins, R. A. (2006). What does it cost to tell the truth. In The Transgender Studies Reader. Routledge.
- Meredith Talusan - BuzzFeed (content warning)
- Singer, T. B. (2006). From the Medical Gaze to Sublime Mutations: the ethics of (re)viewing non-normative body images. In The Transgender Studies Reader. Routledge.
- Dru Pagliassotti, Kazumi Nagaike & Mark McHarry (2013) Editorial: Boys’ Love manga special section, Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, 4:1, 1-8
- Uli Meyer (2013) Drawing from the body – the self, the gaze and the other in Boys’ Love manga, Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, 4:1, 64-81
- Kathryn Hemmann - Transformative Works and Cultures
Letters To The Editor:
- No Tea, No Shade: New Writings in Black Queer Studies -- Duke University Press
What Are We Reading?:
- Serano, J. (2007) Whipping girl: A transsexual woman on sexism and the scapegoating of femininity. Emeryville, CA: Seal Press.
- Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight by Rin Mikimoto
Special thanks to O Horvath for research help!