Drawing a Dialogue is a podcast discussing comics in historical + educational contexts by Cathy G. Johnson + e jackson.
Episode 11: In this episode, Cathy + e look at the history of queer comics in the American underground and build a biography for the cartoonist + illustrator Jeffrey Catherine Jones. Queer erasure is examined while a history is looked at, researched, and built.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter
Subscribe: iTunes, or any podcast app you may use!
Episode Citation (chronologically as mentioned in podcast):
- Ajuan Mance, 2016, The Routledge Companion to Comics, “LGBTQ Representation in Comics” - Routledge
- Fire Island Pines Historical Preservation Society - Link
- Hillary Chute, 2017, “The Rise of Queer Comics” - The Paris Review
- “Mary Wings” - Lambiek Comiclopedia
- Jake Hall, 2016, “Revisiting the seminal queercore movement” - Dazed Digital
- Eric Torres, 2015, “Queering the Pitch: On J.D.s and the Roots of Queercore” - Pitchfork
- Amy L. Stone + Jaime Cantrell, 2015, Out of the Closet, Into the Archives: Researching Sexual Histories - SUNY
- Liam Oliver Lair, 2015, Out of the Closet, Into the Archives: Researching Sexual Histories - SUNY
- Steven Ringgenberg, 2011 - The Comics Journal
- Jeffrey Catherine Jones' website, accessed through the Wayback Machine - Link
- Jones, J., & Pratt, G. (2000). Jeffrey Jones Sketchbook. Lebanon, NJ: Vanguard Pub.
- Jones, J. (2015). Idyl - I'm Age. Hampton Falls, NH: Donald M. Grant.
- Cheryl Morgan, 2011, "Revisiting Jeffrey Catherine Jones" - Link
What are we reading?
- Maragret Atwood, Small Poems For The Winter Solstice
- Frank O'Hara
Theme song by Downtown Boys
Special thanks to O Horvath for help providing research materials for this episode!