At a local middle school, I had the pleasure of teaching a 5-week after school comics club in the months of May - June 2018. Below you'll see one of the many projects we did together!
6-Panel Stories, a Collaborative Comic Art Activity
In this activity, students each have the opportunity to contribute to a 6-panel comic story.
- Characters. Since this club had 13 students, we first went around and developed the 2 characters who will star in the comic. This way everyone has a chance to contribute. I wrote the character stats on the white board so everyone could follow along, but students got to choose their own interpretations of the character design. In this story, we had a tiger and a cow.
- Story. One student began on the prompt, "Where are our characters?" This student chose the Eiffel Tower!
- We go around the class, each student saying what happens in the next panel. The story goes as follows:
- We meet our two characters, a tiger and a cow, on top of the Eiffel Tower.
- They are mysteriously transported to Hawaii.
- A giant almost steps on them.
- The giant misses, and accidentally slips on a banana that was on the beach.
- The giant begins to shrink.
- The characters discover that the giant was their dad all along!
- Everyone draws the story together. Students follow along as a class, but everyone gets to draw their own version. It's a fun way to be collaborative, and get the creative juices going as a group, making writing individual stories less daunting.